"BLOG" TOPIC…

Welcome to BoardCAD forums Software BoardCAD developers "BLOG" TOPIC…

  • This topic contains 23 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 years ago.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #4126

    surfineurope
    Participant

    @soulvoid wrote:

    Jonas, you’ve been hard to reach lately (kind of like me…). What’s up? Glad to have you back.

    Hi Håvard! We moved to Sweden in August and it has taken some time to settle down with new jobs, school, and a house and a garden to take care of, but everything has worked out well and you’ll begin to see me more here in the project again.

    /Jonas

    #4127

    Anonymous

    Good to hear. Maybe I’ll see you in Jæren someday?

    #4128

    Anonymous

    We could go the route of Shape3D and have 3D beziers. However there are some limitations that would apply.

    haavard,

    The rail line edition would be a very important feature for bc. I see that the current interpolation is pretty limited for a number of board designs.

    Akushaper has the rail design limitation too, but it has somekind of smoothing when the toolpath is generated that creates good looking curves everytime.

    Hope its something that wouldn´t need a major rewrite.

    Are you sure there is no easy way to achieve control over the rail line?

    regrds,
    c.

    #4129

    Anonymous

    Well, if we want to define the rail line we need something that define the rail line, right? We could add an advanced editing mode I think. It would mean better integration with the bezier patch surface model which would be a good thing anyway.

    Would it be nice to add a ‘fit curve to guidepoints’ button in the toolbar? You really need to know where it is to use it now. Also I would like to change it so it doesn’t move the endpoint for the outline. One other thing that I would like to add is a version where we add control point if the largest error is above a threshold so we get a certain accuracy/tolerance. Also, choosing filename for the scan file would be nice. Is the format for the scan file documented somewhere? If there isn’t already, maybe we could make a little script for mach3 to generate that file.

    Chico, if you have to much time (hohum…) could you look into making submenus in the ‘show’ menu? It would be nice to group the settings a bit. I can make an example of submenus if you need it, I’m thinking more about how to structure the menus so they make sense. Group into ‘guides and rules’, ‘analyze’… I dunno what grouping makes sense, only that that menu is far too large. Also something to have a look at is Java FX user interface and see if it’s something we could use to polish the user interface. There should be some editors for the user interface.

    #4130

    Anonymous

    @soulvoid wrote:

    Well, if we want to define the rail line we need something that define the rail line, right? We could add an advanced editing mode I think. It would mean better integration with the bezier patch surface model which would be a good thing anyway.

    Sounds like a good idea. So, you are saying that you would be able to add a bezier curve that defines the path of the rail line? It sounds to me that we will be able to have total control over the bottom stringer curve AND the bottom rail curve… that will get people hooked.

    @soulvoid wrote:

    Would it be nice to add a ‘fit curve to guidepoints’ button in the toolbar? You really need to know where it is to use it now. Also I would like to change it so it doesn’t move the endpoint for the outline. One other thing that I would like to add is a version where we add control point if the largest error is above a threshold so we get a certain accuracy/tolerance. Also, choosing filename for the scan file would be nice. Is the format for the scan file documented somewhere? If there isn’t already, maybe we could make a little script for mach3 to generate that file.

    totally agree with the remarks.
    The scan file, i cant remember now but i think it is a simple .csv. Jonas is the one to ask…
    i think the format is

    xcoorinate ; ycoordinate
    or
    xcoordinate , ycoordinate

    @soulvoid wrote:

    Chico, if you have to much time (hohum…) could you look into making submenus in the ‘show’ menu? It would be nice to group the settings a bit. I can make an example of submenus if you need it, I’m thinking more about how to structure the menus so they make sense. Group into ‘guides and rules’, ‘analyze’… I dunno what grouping makes sense, only that that menu is far too large. Also something to have a look at is Java FX user interface and see if it’s something we could use to polish the user interface. There should be some editors for the user interface.

    hehe, you are right about the lack of time
    I will try to have a look at parting the show menu, makes total sense.. I should be able to do it;

    I also think that the context menu needs a cleanup and rethink, and so does some of the nurbs menus/functions… it´s overwhelming for the new user.

    Boardcad needs a friendlier face at the moment.

    c.

    #4131

    surfineurope
    Participant

    I’m not sure that a rail line is a good idea. The good thing with the current 2D model is that rocker, outline, and cross sections can be edited independently. Changes to the rail line, on the other hand, would also change the cross sections. I think a simple 2D model and a full 3D model is enough. However, we definitely need to make the 3D-model more user friendly…

    /Jonas

    #4132

    Anonymous

    hi Jonas,
    But what happens to the bezier to gcode, would we have the edited rail on the bezier cnc?
    Also, how can we edit the rail on the 3d model? indeed its too hard now. To me it needs to be bezier tangent points.. and mainly because people is used to that now and it does a fine job too.

    as to the slices being changed and having fixed rail points, that doesn´t bother me as long as the only changes happen to the bottom rail points.

    Lets say we give boardcad beziers functionality exactly the same as shape3dX is doing, only difference is with the extremity slices, those still the dummy ones.

    As far as i am concerned, we only really need to be able to edit in the profile view… TOP STRINGER; BOTTOM STRINGER; BOTTOM RAIL
    Shape3d does more then that and i feel it is unecessary.

    This is a major feature, boardcad is crying for it..

    chico

    #4133

    Anonymous

    @surfineurope wrote:

    I’m not sure that a rail line is a good idea. The good thing with the current 2D model is that rocker, outline, and cross sections can be edited independently. Changes to the rail line, on the other hand, would also change the cross sections. I think a simple 2D model and a full 3D model is enough. However, we definitely need to make the 3D-model more user friendly…

    /Jonas

    If we added a shape3d like bezier model, I see issues with what to do with the advanced model if you edit the simple model (and the other way around for that matter). I have an idea for editing the simple model from profile though. Let me play with it a bit, it might just work…

    #4134

    Anonymous

    If we added a shape3d like bezier model, I see issues with what to do with the advanced model if you edit the simple model (and the other way around for that matter). I have an idea for editing the simple model from profile though. Let me play with it a bit, it might just work…

    Haavard where are you?

    Did you ever had a good tinker with this?

    regards,
    chico

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.