Boards designed with BoardCAD

Welcome to BoardCAD forums Software BoardCAD Boards designed with BoardCAD

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

BC123Shaper
    Participant

After blowing a batch of epoxy hotcoat (I accidentally added the resin to a cup with alcohol in it), I decided to take my board out surfing. I caught a wave in only a minute so this board is enough float (37.6 litres) for my 6′ 190lbs or so (with wetsuit).

I used carbon fiber fins and glassed them on for this version of the board.

I will have FCS versions of it.

Time to drill the hole for the leash cup and hot-coat it. I have only one sheet of glass on bottom and top but epoxy is a tough resin – it’s hard as a rock. Always remember that epoxy forms a mechanical bond (not chemical as with polyester). I used the epoxy due to the cedar stringer.

I designed this board about 5 years ago with some custom dialogs I added to BoardCAD. I have four others that need final sanding and glassing. I’m just too busy with my consulting and traveling all over. I rarely get any time to work on my surfboards.

I don’t know where the dings came from ??? I repaired them and let them cure a while before I took it out. If I’m in a pinch to fix a ding now, I just use PC Marine epoxy. It’s easier than mixing resin – lazy, but it’ll do.

This was my first experience with epoxy – it’s like making pancakes – half as much one as the other. And use the scale if you really need to keep track of stuff. Otherwise, volume mixing is the way to go. I had to do this board in cold weather so it was a challenge!

Dimensions:
    6’6″ x 20 1/2″ x 2 11/16″

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  BC123Shaper.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

BC123Shaper
    Participant

I guess I’ll need some good solvent today – perhaps some citrus solvent since that’s about all I have. Then I need to hotcoat it and hope I got all the wax off. If need be, I may have to put another sheet of glass on. And I will use tinted resin to cover the discolorations. I think in the end it will work, but there are many naysayers.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.